Northern Winds New Chronicle History Timeline
The history of the consilium over time.
The Consilium of Snowy Lands is Created
The newly formed Free Council is not a recognized Order thus not eligible for Citizenship
The Free Council have proven themselves as an Order to the Consilium and thus its membership are now eligible for membership
The Consilium is renamed Consilium of Rising Waters
Any Citizen of German, Austrian, Hungarian, and Ottoman decent are to be removed from any and all positions within the Consilium and their Citizenship revoked
Any Citizen of German and Italian decent are to be removed from any and all positions within the Consilium and their Citizenship revoked due to WWII.
New rules for revoking Citizenship of Consilium introduced
In an attempt to test the viability of an under-city, underground shelters are built at North Bay, covered up by the Construction of the RCAFB there.
The Consilium is renamed The Children of Gichigami
The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald is deemed off limits to all mages of the Consilium, unless you have special permission.
The Mysterium are banned from building a new Athenaeum within the limits of the Consilium for a minimum of five years.
Étienne Brûlé of France names the area Sault de Gaston
French Jesuit missionaries renamed it Sault Sainte Marie
North West Company sets up the area's first fishery
An American force destroyed the North West Company depot on the north shore of the St. Marys River.
Sault Ste. Marie incorporated as a town
Plummer Hospital Founded as Royal Victoria Hospital
Angelina Napolitano is the first person in Canada to use the battered woman defence for murder.
Lake Superior Power Company builds newsprint mill at Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Star daily publications begin and is renamed The Sault Daily Star
Door to door mail delivery begins with 8 letter carriers across the City (Arthur Irwin, Harry Donnelly, Eugene Gardi, Russ Miskimins, Bob Gow, Jack Smith, George Martin, Harvey McIntyre)
Salvation Army Citadel opens
James Lyons opens Lyon’s Fuel & Supplies Co.
Merger of Algoma Steel Company Limited, the Algoma Iron Works, the Lake Superior Power Company, the Cannelton Coal & Coke Company and the Fibron Limestone Company with the Lake Superior Iron & Steel Company resulted in the creation of the Algoma Steel Corporation Limited
Marconi Society established
Sault Ste. Marie incorporated as a City. Mayor at that time was W. H. Munro
Governor General of Canada visits the city.
Duke of Connaught is the Governor General of Canada, 3rd son of Queen Victoria
YMCA opens on March Street
Andrew Virene establishes store on Gore Street
ACR Station and Offices at foot of Bruce Street opens
Corner section of Windsor Hotel constructed
Main line of Algoma Central and Hudson’s Bay Railroad completed to Hearst
Queen Street Jail Closes
McNabb Street Jail Opens
Herbert Rosevear Lash opens H. R. Lash Boots and Shoes & Gents Furnishings
Lodge of Sons of Italy Established
Algoma Steel Corporation divests itself of interests in water power lands and rights and the assets of the International Transit Company; the contract of sale was assigned to a new Company, the Great Lakes Power Company Limited.
Ontario Railway and Municipal Board Order provided for the amalgamation of the city of SSM and the town of Steelton, population soars to 21,500
Work begins on foundations for Algoma Steel Corporation 28” structural mill
Joseph LaPlante opens Foch’s Cleaners
Girl Guides organized in city
Adolpho Spadoni opens James St. Furniture
Rotary Club in SSM holds first meeting and dinner at YMCA
Nori family opens City Meat Market
Members of the Group of Seven return to the Sault area in the fall of the year to paint
Joseph Lemay opens Lemay’s Furniture
H.R.H. Edward Prince of Wales Visits the Soo during his tour of Canada.
W.H. and Maria Plummer donated their family home Lynnhurst and the hospital and Royal Victoria is renamed Plummer Memorial Public Hospital
James Pilling opens Algoma Bakery
Joseph Rossi opens Rossi’s Bakery
Isaac Davis opens Davis Clothing Store
Sault Ste. Marie Country club opens. W. C. Franz - president; Elmer W. West - vice-president; Edgar T. Read - secretary-treasurer
Shortage of funds stops work on the mill
Soo Technical High School Built
First time Sault women vote in federal election
Sault High School became Sault Collegiate Institute
Verse on Cenotaph at Court House was inscribed with Rudyard Kipling
Edwards Hardware opens
Completion of present Court House
Fire Hall opens at Wellington & Bruce. elocated from City Hall
First Community Day. 3,000 entries in parade (population of city 23,500). 175 of the entries were children. Proceeds used to purchase car for Public Health Nurse - known as the "Baby Car"
New Princess Theatre opens
Community Day Parade. 2,500 people marched in parade, between 200-300 decorated cars & floats
George MacNamara, General Manager; Hounds won the two-game total – goals final round against Selkirk Fisherman 6-3
Dedication of cenotaph in front of Court House on Queen Street, names of WWI veterans inscribed on Cenotaph
First year Rotary Club gives away car at community night, E. Ross McKay, Editor of Sault Star wins car
Kiwanis Club gets Charter
Willard Thayer opens Hiawatha Lodge
Capy’s on Queen Street Opens
Sault hooked up to European continent via transatlantic phone service
New Plummer Hospital Completed
Masonic Temple Opens
Fire destroys Capy’s Grill
S. S. Kresge opens for business in old Shier Block
Wilfred MacDonald opens Mac’s China Store
First Santa Claus Parade
Francis Hector Clergue dies at age 82 in Montreal
Robert Simpson Company opens store on Queen Street
SSM Country Club becomes Sault Ste. Marie Country & Golf Club
Wince Lyons & Lee Lyons open Girl In Red Restaurant
A substantial military presence was established to protect the locks from a possible attack
Last day of street car service
Most of these facilities and defenses were deemed excessive and removed, save a reduced military base at Sault Ste. Marie.
Dionne Quintuplets visit Sault, however remain on train
Wellington and John Streets Flooded
Trans Canada Airlines inaugural flight from Kinross Airport – Michigan
Trixie Hardy Dance School opens
Hamilton Roddis built a saw mill on 3rd Line & People’s Road in 1948 employed 15-20 people.
Clergue Park dedicated in memory of Francis H. Clergue
Soo Drive-In opened in 1949
New Post Office on Queen Street opens
Memorial Gardens dedicated – largest Sault gathering under one roof – 6,500
1st Artillery Ball held at Armoury
Plummer Memorial Hospital opens
The mill was rebuilt
First time for floats in Santa Claus Parade
Official opening of Pine St. Armoury, Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent hands keys to Lt. Col. Derrer
Became a veneer plant
Hyland TV first to broadcast TV from Sault Ste. Marie
Queen Elizabeth II becomes Queen of England
Opening ceremonies new section Lake Superior Highway
Addition of hardwood flooring mill
Dedication at Cenotaph in front of Court House with addition of names from WWII and Korean War
St. Marys Boys College opened by the Basilian Fathers
Skylar Drive-In opened
The house was built in 1814-23 and is the oldest stone house in Canada west of Toronto.
Sir James Dunn Collegiate and Vocational School opens to become the city’s third High School
Sault Transit – formerly run by Algoma Steel – taken over
Allied Arts Council is formed; later renamed Arts Council of SSM & District
Modern Simpson’s store built at Queen & Elgin Streets
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip
Mount St. Joseph College opened by the Sisters of St. Joseph
St. Marys College Men's Club erected a 12 ton cross on Moffley Hill. It is the western hemisphere's tallest, illuminated, self-supporting cross. Believed to be the same area where a cedar cross was raised June 14, 1671 as part of the French celebration of the founding of Sault Ste. Marie. Primary people involved in the cross creation were Bill Taylor, Mike Perepelytz and Lou Lukenda
Sault Airport opens, first commercial flight lands
Ferry service to Sault Ste. Marie Michigan ends
Opening of highway north to Wawa and beyond
Churchill plaza opens
80 acres of land donated by Arthur A. Wishart for park on 4th Line
Bought by Weyerhauser Canada
International Bridge is the border crossing from Salt Ste. Marie Michigan.
Group Health Centre Opens
Welcome Arch on lower Brock St. demolished
Sault Ste. Marie amalgamates with Korah and Tarentorus Townships – population grows to 70,052
Sault College of Applied Arts & Technology opens
City Council passes by-law allowing stores to remain open two evening a week (Thursday & Friday) until 9:30pm, all other nights they must close by 7:00pm
Direct distance dialling initiated
Newly built YMCA on McNabb Street opens
Garden River Band revives Hiawatha play, tours the CNE and Expo
Notre Dame Des Ecoles built
Algoma University College accepted first students
Main Library opens on East Street to mark the Centennial
Canada celebrates its Centennial Year
Alexander Henry High School opens
Canada celebrates its Centennial Year
Korah Collegiate & Vocational School opens
Fire ruins St. Charles Hotel and Metropolitan Store on November 26, 1968. The top two stories were destroyed and the roof burned away completely. Capy’s restaurant and the Algoma Theatre (neighbouring buildings) received only slight smoke and water damage. Damage estimated in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Rotary YMCA Tennis and Aquatic Club (RYTAC) opens through joint efforts of Sault Ste. Marie YMCA and Rotary Club of SSM
Soo Technical High School became a composite school and the name was changed to Lakeway Collegiate & Vocational school
Restored Ermatinger House opens
Library moved to new building on Clergue Park
Bandshell at Bellevue Park named Harry R. Pearse Memorial Bandshell in honour of local musician and band leader, composer of Men of the North, Hymn for the Armistice, Etienne Brule among others
Credit system in Ontario High Schools implemented
Marine Museum opens at Bellevue Park
Doran’s Brewery sold to Canadian Breweries. Now known as Doran Northern Brewery
3,000 students stage walk-out to protest the halt of extra-curricular activities
Last Artillery Ball held at Armoury
White Pines Collegiate & Vocational school opens
Station Mall opens
Soo Drive In Opens
MS Norgoma becomes the official Museum Ship
New Civic Centre completed on the waterfront - Old City Hall complex on Queen Street demolished
The S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald sinks in storm in Lake Superior off Whitefish Bay, She lies in Canadian waters 17 miles from Whitefish Bay.
Great Lakes Forest Research Centre Completed
Art Gallery of Algoma opens in Station Tower
Municipal elections by Ward System Begins
Smoking banned in elementary schools
Sault Collegiate Institute Closes
Art Gallery of Algoma moves to new location at foot of East Street on waterfront
Smoking banned in secondary schools
Museum moves into old Post Office building
Great Tugboat Race begins at Gros Cap, one of the founders was Howard Avery
Soup Kitchen Community Centre opens
G. W. Martin took over
Cambrian Mall opens
Ontario Lottery Corporation is ordered by Premier to move its offices to Sault Ste. Marie from Toronto
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre Opens
Opening of the new Tube Mill at Algoma Steel
Odeon Theatre closes (last movie theatre on Queen Street)
Victoria House (The Vic) demolished
Council passes a resolution declaring English the city's official language of the city.
Official opening of Bond Place
Sault native Dr. Denise Bond becomes Canada’s first woman astronaut and first neurologist in space
Official Homecoming of Sault native becomes Canada’s first woman astronaut and first neurologist in space to Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Greyhounds win Memorial Cup championship
Official opening of Bond Park Tent Pavilion
The Sault Ste. Marie language Resolution Rescinded by a court ruling
Kiwanis Community Theatre opens at White Pines Secondary school
The bell form the Edmund Fitzgerald is recovered.
Sault Airport renamed for Roderick Borden Gray, Flying Officer WWII, recipient of George Cross
Casino Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario’s first charity casino opens
John Rhodes Centre openes
City hosts Ontario Winter Games
Ermatinger / Clergue Heritage Site becomes Ermatinger / Clergue National Historic Site
Sault Ste. Marie recieved the International Safe Community designation from the World Health Organization; Sault Ste. Marie was one of only six Canadian communities at the time to recieve this award.
Movie “Looking for Angelina” filmed in city with local actors - 2004
SSM Becomes a Non-smoking city
“Old Post Office” - Dominion Building celebrates 100 years; Gala Evening held at Marconi Club - 2005
New truck route dedicated in memory of late Carmen Provenzano
Walk of Fame begins September 30, 2006 with 10 inductees: Dr. Michelle Clair; Alexander. Dow; Kevin Elliott; Thomas Dow, Scott & Jennifer McGee, Robert Flowers, Terry Norris, Ivan Norkov, Steven Diller, Jory LeCroix
Motion to sell the MS Norgoma dies without a vote
Bon Soo Winter Carnival celebrates 45 years
Win the Northern Football Conference and the Canadian Championship. Medal of Merit recipient
Renamed Essar Centre
Essar Steel Algoma Inc
Plaque unveiled at SSM Museum to commemorate Ukrainian detainees during WWI
City holds flag raising ceremony at Clergue Park marking 25 countries whose residents established Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Ste. Marie was re-designated as an International Safe Community by the World Health Organization
$3M renovation begins to upgrade the McNabb Street facility
Algoma University turns Windsor Park into student residence
Lower section of East Street south of Bay Street renamed Ken Danby Way
Nicole Fraiser, Sir James Dunn High School student and Jenna Trotter, paralympian from 2000 Games carry 2010 Winter Olympics torch along Wellington Street to the Essar Centre enroute to Vancouver B.C.
Mayor John Rowswell passed away while in office
Marie Nichols elected City's first woman Mayor
Hub Trail renamed John Rowswell Hub Trail - 2011
Parkland adjacent to Clergue Park (former site of A. B. McLean & Sons) named John Rowswell Park
New Sault Area Hospital officially opened
Replica of Rotary Welcome Arch constructed at original location on Russ Ramsay Way (lower Brock Street) - after Rotary Community Day Parade
Mayor announces that Dr. Denise Bond will be Honorary Community Ambassador for 2012 Celebrate100! events
First lock built by the Northwest Trading Company
U.S. forces destroy the first lock of the Soo Canal during the War of 1812
The Soo Locks has four locks.
United States refused the steamer Chicona, carrying Colonel Garnet Wolseley permission to pass through the locks at Sault Ste Marie.
It was the largest lock and first electrically operated lock in the world. The canal is about 1.6 kilometres (1 mi) long and originally the lock portion was 274 metres (899 ft) long and 18 metres (59 ft) wide
The locks were seriously damaged when the Perry G. Walker, owned by the Gilchrist Transportation Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, crashed into the south main gate, forcing it back and allowing the force of water to push the north main gate over.
After 12 days of repairs the locks are reopened
It was designated a national historic site
A new lock, built within the old lock and is 77 metres (253 ft) long, 15.4 metres (51 ft) wide and 3 metres (9.8 ft) deep. The canal is used for recreational and tour boats; major shipping traffic uses the U.S. locks.
The Locks reopen after construction began in 1987
Canadian Pacific Railway Arrives
John Ferguson's Mayorial Term Ends
North Bay was incorporated as a city.
The Dionne Quintuplets were born in Corbeil, Ontario, on the southern outskirts of North Bay.
RCAF Station North Bay Founded
The North American Air Defence Command (NORAD) opened its Canadian operations centre at the base
Renamed Canadian Forces Base North Bay
Canadore College Opens
Nipissing University Founded
North Bay amalgamated with West Ferris and Widdifield townships.
North American Aerospace Defence Command
22 Wing/Canadian Forces Base North Bay
The base's NORAD operations moved into a new, state-of-the-art facility above ground
North Bay received $50,000 to upgrade their local arena, Memorial Garden.
The Kids in the Hall's 8-part TV miniseries for CBC Television, Death Comes to Town. North Bay's downtown, Memorial Gardens, and Trinity United Church were among the filming locations, as well as the neighbouring communities of Mattawa and Sturgeon Falls
North Bay Regional Health Centre Opens
SAPPHIRE, Canada's first military satellite, that was launched
The History of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Made up of Ojibwa and Cree mainly
The Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company later developed several trading posts along major routes in northern Ontario.
major silver discoveries in Cobalt
Harry Preston slipped on a rocky knoll and the heels of his boots stripped the moss to reveal a large vein of gold, which later became the Dome Mine.
Shortly after the completion in 1911 of a new spur line of the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway, the Great Porcupine Fire swept through the camp, causing great loss of property and more than 200 deaths.
Founded by Noah Timmins
Doran's Brewery devision Established
Fire in the main Hollinger Mine shaft house of Hollinger Mine. 39 die.
Porcupine Camp received the first mine rescue station in the province of Ontario
Porcupine Music Festival de Musique Begain
Fire in the MacIntyre Mine
The provincial government of Ontario amalgamated all the municipal jurisdictions within a 3,200 km2 (1,200 sq mi) area, including the Town of Timmins, South Porcupine, Schumacher (Tisdale Township), Mountjoy Township, Porcupine (Whitney Township) and the many of the other smaller surrounding communities which created the Corporation of the City of Timmins. The new city was the largest city in Canada. The city's nickname became "The Super City" before the name "The City With A Heart of Gold" was adopted.
The History of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Part of a roof collapsed at Algo Centre Mall, sending metal and concrete debris crashing down through two floors of the shopping centre
The History of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
George Gladman of the Hudson's Bay Company established Abitibi House on Lake Abitibi, to the north.
William Ogilvie leads the expedition to end the Quebec and Ontario Boundary dispute.
William Murray (1840–1906) and Irvin Heard (1871–1956) were the first European settlers in the New Liskeard area,
The Haileybury Hockey Club played its first and only season in the NHA..
The History of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
A Canadian Pacific Railway passenger train derailed off a trestle 10 km. east of Espanola. Forty-three people died from the railcar's 27-foot plunge into the icy water of the Spanish River.
Construction began on the Manitoulin and North Shore Railways
Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Company buys the Spanish River Pulp and Paper Mill
KVP was bought by Brown Forest Industries
The CBC Television series Adventures in Rainbow Country is filmed near here.
A group of volunteers staged a fundraiser for the local hospital by attempting to set a world record for the world's longest ice hockey game.
The History of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
A fur trading post was established by the North West Company at the mouth of the Mississagi River.
The Carpenter Hixon Company built a state-of-the-art pine sawmill producing 89 million board feet of lumber in its first year
An unknown assailant shot an elderly couple from Lindsay, Ontario
Blind River celebrated its centennial
The first European settlement in the area was established by the Hudson's Bay Company. The settlement was a fur trading post about 50 miles to Chapleau's north, on Big Missinabi Lake.
Cochrane was the site of the trial for 20 Reesor Siding farmers charged with the killing of 3 union employees.
The Town of Cochrane amalgamated with the surrounding townships of Glackmeyer and Lamarche to create a newly expanded Town of Cochrane
As Iroquois Falls grew it was separated into three distinct towns: Montrock, Ansonville, and Iroquois Falls.
Abitibi-Price merged with Stone-Consolidated and then merged Donohue Forest Products and finally with Bowater to create AbitbiBowater.
AbitibiBowater sought CCAA protection
The camp held over 1,300 German, Austrian, and Turkish prisoners, though the majority were Canadian residents of Ukrainian decent who emmigrated from the provinces of Bukovina and Galicia,their homeland, which at the time were part of the Austo-Hungarian Empire;in the first wave of Ukrainian emmigration to Canda prior to 1914. Prisoners were employed in the construction of buildings and clearing of land for a government experimental farm on the west side on the Kapuskasing River.
A water storage and hydro electric dam was built by Morrow and Beatty Ltd. of Peterborough at Spruce Falls.
Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, on their first visit to Canada
Gold mining is deemed non-essential to the War Effort
Kirkland Lake was the filming location for the drama film Termini Station
State of Emergency declared due to a Forest Fire
The town council voted to have fluoride removed from the local water treatment facility, after a breakdown
Annie Hardisty and her two daughters were the first settlers on the site.
The community was first settled by Cyrille Monette (née Boisvert) and four other pioneers
Now known as Noëlville
It became a municipality and adopted the name Monetville.
The community of Alban was originally established
The community was renamed for Rev. J. Alban Filiatrault
The local graveyard has a Canadian World War II hero buried there. Sgt. Wallace Edmond Firlotte, who served with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment during the war, was bestowed six war decorations. However, he was one of only a very few Canadians that was bestowed the Order of the Bronze Lion for heroism from the Crown of the Netherlands. This award is presented for "Deeds of extreme bravery and leadership in battle favouring the Netherlands". The Prince personally presented this Order to Sgt. Firlotte by Royal Decree.
Noëlville celebrated its 100th anniversary
Noëlville made the top five communities in CBC Television's Hockeyville competition
The community is centered around a railway station
The Warren family of Toronto established a sawmill, slightly east of Rivière-Veuve, operating under the name Imperial Lumber Company
Founded as a trading post for the Hudson's Bay Company
The area's first post office was opened in Sturgeon Falls in 1881
Hit by a small tornado associated with the Sudbury, Ontario tornado event.
Many houses were demolished and rebuilt on higher ground nearby.
Many know her as the Witch of November, but she can hit any time.
This is the first time the Witch makes her presnce known this century.
The Witch strikes again. This storm affects all the Great Lakes. It is known by many names. 19 ships were sunk and 250 souls were lost.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913 For more information.
This storm is the equivalent of a Catagory 1-2 Hurricane
This storm is the equivalent to a Catagory 2 Hurricane
This is the strongest storm so far in recorded histoy to affect the Lakes. It is the equivalent of a Category 3 Hurricane