Background of Africa: 1. Major Deserts: Sahara and Kalahari
2. Importance of the tsetse fly: prevented Africans from using cattle, donkeys, and horses to farm near the rain forests & prevented invading from colonizing the territories where they lived
3. Animism: a religion where it is believed that spirits are found in everywhere, such as in plants and animals, throughout daily life
4. Importance of griots: Passed down history to younger generations, which kept the history from being forgotten
Africa: 1. Religion that a lot of African leaders adopted in the 11th century: Islam
2. Two most important trade items for the Soninke people in Ghana: gold and salt
3. How did Islam spread south of the Sahara in the 11th century?: through trade. Muslim merchants settled there.