John D. Rockefeller toured the area known as Grand Teton National Park and fell in love with the area, as well as its majestic scenery. Rockefeller ended up purchasing the land and prepared over 35,000 acres of land to get it ready to be sold to the federal government and become a national park.
In 1950, Congress established the land we know now as Grand Teton National Park. In 1929, a portion of the park was established to protect the Teton Range and in 1943, FDR declared that the remaining land would be part of the Jackson Hole National Monument. It wasn’t until after 1949 when John D. Rockefeller donated another portion of land, that everything was united into present-day Grand Teton National Park.