Vision: "In this sign, conquer." He converts to Christianity.
He disbanded the praetorian guards.
313: He issued the Edict of MIlan, tolerating all religions of the Roman empire. Christian martyrdoms ended.
330: Built capital Constantinople on old Byzantium. Easily defended, located along eastern trade routes.
Supported the Christian church:
- returned property to prosecuted Christians
- gave tax advantages to Christian priests
- let Christian advisors into his court's inner circle
- built beautiful churches
- restored the Holy Places at Jerusalem and Palestine, including where Jesus was born and died (Helena located them)
- Christians made pilgrimages to Jerusalem
Constantine withdrew support for traditional pagan shrines, confiscated their gold, and standardized currency.