Great-grandfather of Dr. McDowell (also named Ephraim) immigrates to America, landing in Pennsylvania.
Dr. McDowell's grandfather moves to Shenandoah Valley (his great-grandfather also moved to Virginia).
Supposedly killed defending his land from Native Americans. Leaves behind a wife, two boys, and one girl.
Marriage of Dr. McDowell's parents. Both were Scotch-Irish, and 18 at marriage.
Serves in French and Indian wars; also a colonel in Revolutionary War (unknown dates), serving under Gen. Green.
Appointed by Virginia assembly to be one of the commissioners to settle land claims in Kentucky.
Takes up permanent residence in Fayette Co., KY, bringing along family.
Eldest daughter of Dr. and Mrs. McDowell marries David Irvine.
Receives as wedding gifts (objects in house): portrait of Isaac Shelby in parlor; Dolly Madison mirror over mantle in dining room.
Portrait of David Irvine in library, to the left of the hall door.
Dr. Ephraim McDowell born near Lexington, VA, to Samuel and Mary McDowell; ninth of eleven children.
Ephraim McDowell came to Danville, KY in 1783, when his father, Samuel McDowell, was appointed one of the three judges in the Court of the Kentucky Territory. (Samuel McDowell was also President of eight of the ten Constitutional Conventions that led to Kentucky's statehood in 1792.)
Apprenticed to Dr. Alexander Humphreys in Staunton, VA.
Studies medicine at the University of Edinburgh for two years, also taking private anatomy and surgery lessons from famous anatomist John Bell. Does not complete his degree.
Opens medical practice in the apothecary shop with his colleague, Dr. Adam Rankin.
At age 31, marries Sarah Shelby (age 18), daughter of Governor Isaac Shelby.
Future president (then 17 years old) James K. Polk comes to Dr. McDowell for bladder stone removal surgery.
Dr. McDowell travels to Nashville, TN to remove an ovarian tumor from the wife of General Overton. General Andrew Jackson assists in operation.
Dr. Ephraim McDowell dies of "cramp colic" (now known as appendicitis).
Monument commissioned by the Kentucky State Medical Society.
Shop constructed c. 1790
Brick ell was probably part of a house built in the early 1790s.
Dr. McDowell and Dr. Rankin purchase the apothecary shop and office.
The house was first the home of a Centre College president; then (in the mid-1800s) was a Methodist parsonage. After that it was rental property owned by Weisiger, and housed a saloon, barber shop, tenement house, and shoeshine shop, among other exploits. House's condition deteriorates significantly during this period.
Dr. August Schachner, of Louisville, begins efforts to purchase the House for restoration from Mr. John G. Weisiger.
Purchased from the Weisiger heirs for $15,000; house given to the Kentucky Division of Parks, and restored by the Works Progress Administration.
Restoration of the apothecary shop begins with the help of the Kentucky Pharmaceutical Society, under the direction of Mr. George Grider.
McDowell House Museum receives grant from Kentucky Heritage Commission to begin a historic structures report.
Tornado destroys large part of the brick wall surrounding the back of the McDowell House.
Paint analysis finished (by Frank Welsh and Associates); Porter Paints announces gift of enough paint to restore the interior and exterior of McDowell House in original colors.
Added by Garden Club of Danville
Isaac Shelby (Dr. McDowell's father-in-law) chosen as first governor.
My Old Kentucky Home state park
Originally "The Sign of the Green Tree" inn and tavern (purchased by Todd family in 1832).
International slave trade ended; domestic slave trade continues.