R.C. Walter and Sons History

Main

R.C. Walter and Bill Copeland begin business together (1944)

1944

Ralph Charles Walter and Bill Copeland begin a side business installing venetian blinds.

C & W Home Modernizing becomes formal business (1946)

03/14/1946

Realizing that the side business was more demanding than originally planned, R.C. and Copeland made their services a formal business on March 14, 1946 with the name of C & W Home Modernizing.

Warehouse rented (1950)

1950

The company’s success and rapid expansion led to renting a warehouse located in Greenock, Pennsylvania to store roofing materials rather than at R.C. and B.C.'s homes.

Name changes to R.C. Walter Roofing and Siding (1951)

1/29/1951

In 1951, Ralph Charles bought out the company and changed the name to R.C. Walter Roofing and Siding. The Walter family, including R.C. Walter’s wife, Anna Matilda Rainey Walter as secretary, and their two sons, Robert N. Walter and R. C Walter Jr. as employees, structured the company.

Boston house purchased (1952)

12/2/1952

Shortly after the warehouse purchase, it began deteriorating and the business was then conducted in a home purchased at the current location on Boston Hollow Road.

Boston home burnt down (1954)

1954

Two years after conducting business on Boston Hollow, the home burnt down and plans were created for a new, 40' x 45' building, which still is a part of the store now.

Hardware retail began (1956)

1956

The business location on Boston Hollow Road, originally a roofing supply warehouse, started to morph into a small retail shop for basic hardware supplies in order to gain income for the winter months. The building was furnished with second hand counters form the old Montgomery & Ward store and recycled lumber for shelving.

Greenock warehouse purchased (1958)

10/31/1958

R.C. had to purchase a warehouse in Greenock to transfer roofing materials into that building for the roofing business and keep the Boston Hollow location as a retail outlet.

Joined American Hardware (1966)

1966

Name changed to R.C. Walter and Sons, Inc. (1966)

1966

At this time, two separate businesses were being run under the same name—a roofing company headed by Robert N. Walter and a hardware retail store headed by R.C. Walter Jr.

Third addition (1972)

1972

The newest, biggest addition was added with R.C. Walter Sr. having doubts changing the wall of the old building and installing a beam. Ken Murtha laid the tile floor, Bill and Bob Howell did the wiring, and Ron Sedlar did the carpenter work for the trim, stairway, and fire escape.

Officially occupied new store (1973)

1973

This date marks the first time the store had a real display area with gondolas.

First computerized system installed (1988)

1988

The most important change was the implementation of an ABC computer system in 1988 through ServiStar that facilitated inventory count and easily created several accounting documents.

Roofing business sold (1992)

1992

Robert N. Walter sold the roofing business to Mr. Brian Merten, which marked the retirement of Robert N. Walter. However, after this transaction, Robert N. Walter continued to work part time at R.C. Walter and Sons’s hardware retail store.

ServiStar and True Value merge (1997)

1997

ServiStar merged with True Value to become True Serve. This merge gave all independently owned hardware stores an opportunity to fend off industry giants. To this day, R.C. Walter and Sons is True Value associated.

Tom Walter purchases business (2007)

2007

The business was then purchased in 2007 by Tom Walter (current owner) when his Uncle, Charles Walter, retired the same year.

Details

Details of R.C. Walter and Sons history

Began installing aluminum windows (1944)

1944

Additional services added (1946-49)

1946 - 1949

More services were eventually added to the C & W Home Modernizing, such as roof repair, downspout repair, insulbrick siding, and gutter replacement.

First company vehicle purchased (1946)

1946

A pick up truck was purchased for the company with the company's name printed on the side.

Plumbing supplies added to retail supply (1956)

1956

First addition (1962)

1962

Business grew faster than expected and additions to the Boston Hollow location were in demand. Bud Bain was in charge of the first addition, which is still in use as the "back room."

Second addition (1963)

1963

As business grew even more, another addition was added--the current "pipe room."

Parking lot was paved (1966)

1966

Up to this point, R.C. Walter and Sons had a dust parking lot, which constantly drew in dust every time a customer pulled in that covered the products.

Revolving lights installed (1971)

1971

Revolving lights were installed on the corner of the Boston Hollow building as well as a light on top of the new neon sign.

Airconditioning installed (1973)

1973

Became Servistar certified (1978)

1978

Computerized paychecks (1981)

1981

AT&T telephone system implemented (1984)

1984

Began direct mail circulars (1990)

1990

Not only was the accounting department being revamped with a computer system, but also the marketing department with direct mail circular, which are still used today.