A ten-month-long debate over a series of resolutions intended to reduce the crisis between the North and South that had unhinged both political parties.
(1) California entered Union as a free state, ending forever the balance of free slave states
(2) The Texas-New Mexico Act made New Mexico a territory and set the Texas boundary at its present location: Texas is paid 10 million
(3) The Utah Act set up the Utah Territory and gave territorial legislature authority over all rightful subjects of legislation
(4) A Fugitive Slave Act required the federal government and northern states to help capture and return runaway slaves
(5) the public sale of slaves, but not slavery itself, was abolished in D.C.