In 1948, Stalin blockaded all routes by land and rail into West Berlin. This was why:
• In 1948, the British and American zones of Germany merged into one zone called Bizonia
• In 1948, the Allies created a West German country with its own money (western Deutschmark) and government.
• Stalin wanted to weaken Germany, not make it stronger
1. On the 24th June: Stalin cut off road, rail and canal traffic in an attempt to starve West Berlin. His aim was to try and cut off the West’s access to food and bring it to starvation point
2. However, Truman was determined to stand up to the Soviet Union so he decided to start airlifting supplies from their bases in West Germany into Berlin.
3. The airlift began on 28th June and lasted for 10 months
4. The West Berliners were supplied with:
- Building materials
5. On 12th May 1949, Stalin called off the blockade