Created in San Francisco.
- Canada is one of the original members to sign the Charter.
- Based on the idea of collective security.
- Member nations can debate issues of concern. (provided by the General Assembly)
- The original goal of was to prevent another global conflict, abolish disease and famine & protect human rights.
- Three powers against aggressor: Condemn, Economic sanctions & Military intervention
- "Big Fives" - Britain, France, China, U,S & Russia
- Decisions need support from nine members while the Big Fives have the power of veto.
Soviet spy Igor Gouzenko defects to Canada and exposes a Russian spy ring in Canada.
- The aim is to discover the secrets of the atomic bomb.
- Canada felt it was involved in the Cold War since then.
Gouzenko with his white hood for anonymity
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- A military defense alliance included Canada, the United States, Great Britain and other Western European nations
- Due to fears created by the Cold War with Russia and its allies.
Lester Pearson becomes Canada’s ambassador to the United Nations.
- Canada's Minister of External Affairs
Soviet Union and Eastern European nations to work as an alliance in case of an attack.
Lester Pearson wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Succeeded in preventing open wars in the Korean Conflict and the Suez Crisis.
Diefenbaker’s Conservatives cancel the Avro Arrow project.
- a state-of-the-art supersonic jet aircraft.
In 1961, East Germany (communist-controlled) built a wall around West Berlin to keep East Berliners out.
Canada participates in a U.N. peacekeeping mission to Cyprus.
- An island in the Eastern Mediterranean.
- South of Turkey, West of Syria and Lebanon, Northwest of Israel and Palestine, North of Egypt, and Southeast of Greece.
Vietnam was divided into south and north.
- North - Communist, South - Capitalist
- Since 1965, U.S has started to send troops and weapons and authorized the bombing of North Vietnam.
- Russia/China began supporting the north by supplying weapons
- U.S lost the war and the new president pulled U.S soldiers out of the war.
- Canada sold boats, airplanes engines, and explosives to U.S.
- PM Pearson criticized Operation Rolling Thunder publicly in U.S.
- He thought it was not a wise move.
Trudeau’s government officially recognizes Communist China (rather than Taiwan).
Pierre Trudeau visits Communist China on a peace mission.
Pierre Trudeau visits Communist Cuba.
Berlin Wall comes down, symbolizing the end of the Cold War.
Soviet Union dissolves into 15 countries.
In 1992, the U.N. launched "Operation Restore Hope" in Somalia.
- Canada joined in distributing food and other essential supplies to desperate local population
- Members of the Canadian Airborne Regiment arrested and tortured a Somali
teenager found wandering in the Canadian base camp (beaten to death due to racism).
- This tarnished Canada's Peacekeeping reputation
Canada sends soldiers and later police.