• Sought to overturn the Missouri Compromise
• Douglas offers his southern friends an opportunity to have slavery where it had previously been forbidden - let popular sovereignty determine slavery in unorganized area
• This was appealing to southern democrats
• In return the transcontinental railroad go to Chicago – this brings money, trade, commerce, and goods. This will make him very popular in Illinois
• This Act Passed
• Settlers flooded Kansas
• “Bleeding Kansas” – Small Civil War
• Created by popular sovereignty
• Failure of democracy
• The Majority of people in Kansas wanted no slavery.
• “Pottawatomie Massacre”
o John Brown – Calvinist, lived in East, decided he was gods agent on earth to free the slaves
o He goes to Kansas bc that’s where the slavery war was fought
o Went to Pottawatomie Creek and went door to door and arrested pro-slave males and slaughtered some of them.
o Brown things this is justified
o Goes back East