1. Mussolini wanted to:
- fight a war
-start a great empire
- to win coal, iron, steel and oil which italy lacked
- revenge a defeat by Abyssinia at Battle of Adowa 1896
2. league imposed economic sanctions to italy but excluded steel, oil and coal
3. Britain and France strike a deal with Italy to maintain positive relations within the Stresa Front ( group to withstand growing Germany threat):
Italy could keep the resource rich areas.
4. undermined LON as peace keeping body
5.encourage Mussolini to look for further military success and influence in the Mediterranean
7. Britain and France by the principles of international law opposed acts of war of Italy, but in order to avoid the loss of their own, they did not want confrontation with Italy, resulting in Italy gradually moving closer to Germany, while Austria and Germany eventually merged.