• 1800 – Jefferson running for presidency
- accused Federalists of betraying ideas of revolution
- Slaves were promised freedom (if they got info)
- Nobody really knew what exactly Jefferson had planned in his pledge
- Jefferson was: manipulative, cunning, deceptive
- Says one thing and does another
- Basically he said there was going to be a second American Revolution…. But nobody knew what that meant.
Agriculturally centered --> Industrially centered
-toxic assest cause banks to go bankrupt and that spirals a domino effect
Crisis over slavery
o Beginning of Presidential doctrines
o Deals with foreign policy
o Basis of American Foreign Policy
o Early 1820’s – Latin Revolutions against Spain and winning
o Addresses: What should Americas Position be concerning these newly independent countries
o Proclamation that Europe should stay out of Western Hemisphere and U.S wont get involved in European affairs.
o We really are excited about having weak neighbors in the south so we can manipulate so lets not get Europe involved.
o Last attempt to grab American Nationalism