First Nations family history & mining in the Mayo area

Significant Events

First Nations people began moving into the Mayo area from surrounding villages

1900

Silver King galena vein discovered on Galena Hill

1902

"Big Dave Hager" was born at McQuesten Village

1905

"Big Dave " worked on steamboats on the Stewart River

1910 - 1912

First mining in the camp began at Silver King mine

1912 - 1914

Staking rush in the area & Keno Hill Ltd began production

1919

First mill built followed by others

1921

"Big Dave" married Alice from Fort Good Hope

1929

A new mill was built by Elsa mine that would process ore from several mines

1930

All the mines purchased and reorganized as United Keno Hill Mines (UKHM)

1940

Massive staking rush

1948 - 1950

Maurice Melancon came to the Yukon

1951

The first zinc concentrate was produced

1952

Maurice married Irene (Big Dave's daughter)

1952

The highway was completed from Mayo to Whitehorse

1952

Herman Melancon born

1954

Hydro plant opened at Mayo Lake to provide power to the mine and mills

1955

Herman moved away to work in other mines

1986 - 1990

NND signed the Land Claim Self Government Agreement

1993

UKHM suspended production and abandoned the site

1997

Alexco began a new phase of exploration

2005

Herman works at Elsa as a contractor miner

2010

Began processing ore once again

2010