The La Jolla Union Mission Church opened in 1926 making history as the first African American church in San Diego. Prior to opening this church on Cuvier Street, African Americans in the community attended the white Presbyterian church, though they did not feel welcomed. Although Black people had been discriminated against many years prior, the early 20th century was a violent time period. The white community was calling for redemption through violence as African Americans fought for civil rights. These times of violence increased the segregation in neighborhoods and churches. The Black community in San Diego was tired of not being able to practice their religion as they wanted, so they opened the La Jolla Union Mission church. “Wanting a church of their own, the Blacks received the sponsorship of the white church to start one.” As Lorenza Taylor-Pace mentions, the Presbyterian church helped fund the La Jolla Union Mission church because they did not want to share their church with Black people, not because they cared about the practices of African Americans.
In 1943, the La Jolla Union Mission Church was transformed into the Prince Chapel by the Sea African Methodist Episcopal Church.