Though generations have come and gone, Fenway Park remains, much like it did the day it opened on April 20, 1912
After two rain delays, Fenway Park finally hosted its first professional baseball game on April 20, 1912.The first official game played in Fenway actually occurred on April 9 when the Sox beat Harvard University, 2-0.The Red Sox defeated the New York Highlanders -- later known as the Yankees -- before 27,000 fans,7-6 in 11 inningsThe event would have made front page news hadit not been for the sinking of the Titanic only a few days before.
Even after the Sox made Fenway their home they still did not always play there games at Fenway.. Occasionally they played their big games at fenway to accommodate larger crowds. Like those that were over 42,000 strong for Games Three and Four of the 1915 World Series. Boston won that year too, beating the Philadelphia Phillies.
On May 8, 1926 fire destroyed bleachers along the left field line. John Quinn, the owner at the time, simply carted the charred remains out of the park; because of a lack of funds, he didn't bother to rebuild the bleachers. Left fielders didn't complain -- they were able catch foul balls for outs behind the stands.
Yawkey, a rich man devoted to getting the Red Sox a championship, re-did the stadium in 1934.
Tom Yawkey, who bought the financially strapped club in 1933, began a major overhaul of the park. The revitalization project, however, came to a screeching halt on January 5, 1934 when a second fire ravaged the building for five hours. Few areas of the ballpark were left undamaged.
In 1936 a football screen was added. The screen was added so of buildings on adjoining Lansdowne Street.
In 1940, bullpens were constructed in right field bringing the fence 23' closer to home plate.
Three years later, sweet-swinging Ted Williams, a dead-pull left-handed hitter, came to Boston. The following year, 1940, bullpens were constructed in right field to bring the fence 23 feet closer to home plate for Williams. The new bullpens appropriately became known as Williamsburg.
When the wall's advertisements were covered by green paint in 1947. Fenway Park's signature feature -- the Green Monster -- was born.
Private suites were added to the roof in 1983, and a glassed-in seating section called the 600 Club was built behind home plate in 1988.Scientists and studies have showed that the installation on the 600 Club has affected the wind currents in Fenway, creating swirling winds around the field instead of a direct wind towards the outfield often times.
n 2002 the Red Sox were sold to John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino.
Since 2003, there have been numerous improvements and upgrades completed at the ballpark. The famous Green Monster seats, 250 bar style seats, were added atop the Green Monster in left field enabling fans to view Fenway Park in a distinct way they have never had before.
In addition, the seating area along the right
FENWAY PARK ATTRACTIONS
& SEATING CHART
Fenway Park Seating Chart
Green Monster Seats
The Red Seat
field roof was expanded and repaired to seat 575 fans. Prior to the start of the 2011 season, a new 38'x100' HD video/scoreboard was installed above the center-field bleachers.