Linnaeus - classification of plants and animals places humans in the order Primates.
FIRST systematic evolutionary theory - based theory on the inheritance of acquired characteristics.
ADAPTATION - the link of geographical variation in
related species to environmental differences.
“Struggle for existence” in which more offspring are born than can survive to reproduce.
Five major point of Darwinian evolutionary theory
1. Organisms produce more offspring than can survive to reproduce.
2. Because numbers of individuals in a species are usually constant, there must be a high death rate.
3. Individuals in each species vary in their characteristics.
4. Natural selection: variants that fit their environment better will be favoured over those less fit. Fitness is defined by differential reproductive success. Better fit individuals pass on their beneficial characteristics in greater numbers because they have more offspring that survive and reproduce.
5.Following generations will continue to exhibit and refine adaptations
“Principles of Geology” - promoted “uniformitarianism”, the idea that the earths form was derived from SLOW and GRADUAL processes of uplift, erosion and deposition.
Blending inheritance, single favorable mutations would be diluted out of exist
- Darwin undermines his own theory
Atomic energy - making Kelvin's age estimates for earth meangingless