Centennial Beach

History

George Martin II took over Farm Land

1841

Shortly after bought the land where the quarries were

Women's Rights Movement

1848 - 1920

George Martin Opened Quarry

1849

Brick House Opened

1853

Ernst von Oven Moved to Naperville from Germany (age 19)

1854

Ernst fruit farmed with brother when he came back from WWII

1866

Chicago Fire

October 1871

Ernst bought King's Interest in Martin and King

1878

Changed name to Martin and von Oven

B.B. Boecker becomes partner

1884

Changed name to Boecker and von Oven

George Martin II Dies

1889

Daughters and Widow take over Quarry

US gets involved in WWI

1917

Quarries allowed to fill with rain

April 1917

Population of about 5000

1920

Naperville's 100 Year Anniversary

January 1931

Naperville Residents Bought for $16,500

1931

Construction Complete

1932

Segregated

1932 - 1959

Bathhouse Built

1934

Third Phase of Improvements

1936

Population of about 5280

1940

800 of which were college students

First Female Lifeguard

1942

First Protests for Integration

1946

First Aquathon

1955

Civil Rights Movement

1955 - 1968

Dive Area Rebuilt

1976

New Circulation and Chlorination System

1977

$2 Million Spent on Renovations

2002 - 2004

Park District Formed Review Committee

2008

$5 Million Renovation

May 2011