The Electrical Engineering Building was constructed over a period of five years beginning in 1948. Separate contracts were drawn up for the completion of the third floor in 1950 and the auditorium and freight elevator installation in 1952. All the contracts were completed by the spring of 1953.
The new building contained a variety of labs and research facilities to keep up with rapid developments in electronics and computers. Each floor held an array of labs in machines, circuits, and electrical measurement, as well as industrial X-ray and electronics research equipment.
Just four years after the new building was finished, the department needed even more space—this time to house the new Cyclotron computer, which was near completion in 1957. An addition to the west end of the south wing of the building in 1959 solved the space problem, and the 10-by-12-foot Cyclone Computer remained there until the mid 1960s, when it was retired and replaced by a newer model.