Characteristics of Romanticism:
1. Valued feeling, intuition, idealism, and inductive reasoning.
2. Placed faith in inner experience and the power of the imagination.
3. Shunned the artificiality of civilization and seek unspoiled nature as a path to spirituality.
4. Championed individual freedom and the worth of the individual.
5. Saw poetry as the highest expression of the imagination.
Characteristics of Gothic:
1. Dark Romantics: Used dark and supernatural themes/settings
Characteristics of Transcendentalism:
1. Everything in the world, including human beings, is a reflection of the Divine Soul
2. People can use their intuition to behold God's spirit revealed in nature or in their own souls.
3. Self-reliance and individualism must outweigh external authority and blind conformity to tradition.
Historical events that occurred:
1. The Louisiana Purchase - 1803