August 15, 1969 - August 18, 1969
- A three-day festival that had a crowd of over 400,000 people that was seen as one of the most important things to have happened to rock and roll.
- This was important as it was known as three days of peace, where almost half a million young people got along in harmony. (20)
Roe vs. Wade passed
January 22, 1973
- A landmark supreme court case voted 7-2 legalizing abortion throughout the United States.
- This is important because it protects a woman's right to choose for herself and her body. (7)
Camp David Accords
September 17, 1978
- A negotiation between Isreal and Egypt where a peace treaty was signed overseen by president Jimmy Carter.
- assisted in the peace between two nations and improved US foreign diplomacy. (11)
- Created using the combination of Arpanet and TCP/IP, began the early stages of the internet we know.
- This is important as the internet is the most widely used communication and storage hub on earth. (3)
Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion
January 28, 1986
- A space shuttle carrying both the NASA crew and a school teacher exploded 73 seconds after launch, this happened on live television.
- This was important as it showcased the mishaps with space travel, but also was a gruesome event on live TV. (17)
April 15, 1989 - June 4, 1989
- Many young people of China gathered in Tiananmen Square to protest against the government ending in a deadly riot.
- Journalists were able to catch these events on camera and showcase to the world the wrath of the Chinese Government. (11)
- The North American Free Trade Agreement is an agreement between the United States, Mexico, and Canada that helped to eliminate and lower tariffs to promote more trade.
- This was important in growing the US economy and helped to get things for less expensive by importing them. (16)
July 11, 1995 - July 13, 1995
- The Bosnian Genocide was an ethnic cleansing that killed more than 8,000 Bosnians by the Serbians.
- This was important as it was later classified as a Genocide by multiple countries. (15)
Princess Diana Killed
August 31, 1997
- Princess Diana of Wales died from injuries of a car crash in Paris, France accompanied by her then partner Dodi Fayed.
- This was important as Diana was the peoples' princess and this was considered a tragedy for the United Kingdom. (18)
- The Columbine Massacre was a school shooting where 13 people were killed inside of the High School and was the deadliest American school shooting for 13 years.
- Columbine is important as school shootings are becoming more and more common and this was the worst one to happen for a long time, shaking Americans. (10)