History of Fitzroy Gardens ~

Main

64 acres of land is set aside as a garden reserve for the public.

1848

James Sinclair is appointed as head gardener and works at FG until his death

1857 - 1882

The Band Pavillion is built

1862

Fitzroy Square is officially changed to Fitzroy Gardens

1862

Sinclair's Cottage is built on the main walk

1864

Four fountains and other statuary are added to the gardens

1864

Rotunda is built (Temple of Winds)

1873

Nursery is transferred from the centre of the park to its current location

1901

The kiosk is opened, a half timber style building

1908

The 'Mound' is developed in the centre of the gardens

1908

Sole control of the gardens is passed onto the City of Melbourne

1917

A dining room is added to the kiosk

1920

The Conservatory (which displays glass-house plants) is opened

1930

Cook's Cottage is erected

1934

Men's toilet block is established

1957

Kiosk is damaged by fire

1960

New kiosk is opened

1964

Womens toilet block is established

1964

Garden added to Cook's Cottage

1970