The Articles of Confederation was a document in the US in 1777.
Not ratified until 1781 b/c MD, goes into effect March 1781.
Powers of Central Gov't:
1. No national judiciary
2. No separate executive branch
- President elected annually by Congress (could only be in office max 1 year out of 3)
- Delegates served annually (could only serve max 3 years out of 6)
- Each state = 1 vote
- Simple majority for votes
- 9 state agreement for "major questions"
3. Congress sole national authority
- Foreign affairs, war and peace, military/armed forces, finance (raise loans, issue bills of credit, establish a coinage, regulate trade w/ Indians), final authority in interstate jurisdictional disputes
4. No Congressional authority to raise troops or impose taxes
- Guaranteed sovereignty of individual states (they get all powers not given to Congress)