Tension b/w North and South from economic and territorial interests, but also hardening ideas. Each thought own vision should be dominant.
Free soil and free labor Slavery wrong - to whites. Citizens have rights to own property, control own labor, access opportunity, but South was a closed, static society. Slavery preserved aristocracy and common whites had no opportunities. Support from Church too.
Slave Power Conspiracy - Northerners thought they were prospering and South was stagnating, yet South was trying to extend slavery and crush capitalism.
Republican idea. Republicans also committed to Union - splitting would be going backwards, less prosperous, which would have been anti-free labor.
1. Whites wanted security after Nat Turner
2. Cotton became even more profitable in Deept South
3. Garrisonians becoming more vehement against South.
Slavery is positive good
1. Slaves in better conditions than industrial workers.
2. Two races could live together.
3. Helped national economy.
4. Preserve southern way of life. North was greedy, destructive, dirty, crowded with immigrants. South was stable, orderly, protected workers.
5. Blacks biologically inferior.