Xavier University of Louisiana

Events

xavier university of louisanna was build in 1915

Approx. Feb 19 1915

The school was given special permission by Catholic church officials to operate on a co-educational basis, making it among the earlier such Catholic institutions in the United States. In 1917, a teac

oct 17 1917

in 1918, the school began awarding two-year post-secondary commercial, music, and industrial degrees.

jun 10 1918

There was also was a two-year Pre-Medical Course. With money from Mother Katharine's sister Louise Drexel Morrell, an annex was added. In 1927, a College of Pharmacy was opened.

feb 6 1927

In 1929, a program to enlarge the campus was implemented. The first buildings completed were a stadium (1930),

dec 5 1929

During the 1930s, a separate Negro History Department combined courses in history, literature, and social studies teaching methods, making it one of the first college-level programs in African-Americ

sep 19 1930

In 1934, Xavier inaugurated a School of Social Service for training social workers and an opera program, which eventually produced singers who had major careers in Europe and America.

nov 13 1934

The same year also witnessed Xavier's awarding of its first honorary degree, a Master of Arts, to the African-American sculptor Richmond Barthé. During the 1930s and 1940s, the College

july 25 1940

Following the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board Education (1954), the school's charter was amended to permit non-black students.

aug 13 1952

The 1960s brought great change. Except for basketball and track and field, most of the intercollegiate athletic programs were ended in 1960 and the home economics and industrial arts programs in 1962

oct 20 1960