Once known as "the cabbage patch" due to the presence of German farmers, Lincoln Park gained the name that it has in the present in honor of assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, an Illinois native.
In 1869, the Lincoln Park commission was created as its own district, among one of three Chicago area park districts at the time. This gave LP crucial authority over lakefront land between North and Diversey Aves. This paved the way for important infrastructure to develop in the coming decades.
The Great Fire destroyed many of the buildings in the North Side, but residents quickly rebuilt and continued to develop communities.
Lake Shore Drive was established beginning in 1875. The iconic passage of roadway is today home to some of LP's most expensive real-estate, accompanied by commanding views of Lake Michigan.
Founded in 1898 as St. Vincent's College, the founding of this university was more evidence that Lincoln Park was becoming a very culturally significant area of Chicago. In 1907, DePaul received its current name and it stuck.
A a property reassessment prevented the city from collecting taxes, which led to a massive tax strike. The woes of the Great Depression were clearly hitting Chicago hard.
The Great Depression hit Chicago hard, with its previous wealth of manufacturing jobs declining sharply during the years of the Great Depression. This impact was felt in a big way in Lincoln Park, home to many individuals who previously got by on housing jobs, where housing stock substantially deteriorated.
Chicago's emergency relief funds were completely non-existent by this date.
After World War II ended and the American economy was on the upswing, members of Old Town began to worry that Lincoln Park was becoming a slum. This worry spawned the creation of neighborhood associations that began the process of urban renewal in the area that would bring forth the Young Lord movement and others concerned with the effects of gentrification.
The Old Town Triangle Association's formation was one of the first signs of increased neighborhood organization near Lincoln Park, and was a harbinger of neighborhood renewal to come.
The LPCA made strides towards neighborhood renewal via private rehabilitation of property. Government resources like federal urban-renewal funds and enforcement of the housing code were also utilized.
Mayor Daley's election was a turning point for Lincoln Park and the Young Lords. Daley and the Young Lords would be in deep opposition over Daley's "urban renewal plan."
This leads to the gentrification of the '60s.
The LPCA had tried to avoid the wholesale clearance that took place in Hyde Park, the poor who lived in the southwestern quarter of Lincoln Park (such as the Young Lords) were extremely displeased. The Concerned Citizens of Lincoln Park argued that Puerto Ricans and African Americans were being displaced from their homes and priced out by gentrification. Developers bought land near the park and built high-rises. The LPCA, which wanted to keep LP open to families, was displeased by this development, but it continued anyway.
In context of Young Lords history, it seems that the "War on Gangs" was a response of sorts to the Young Lords' opposition to the urban renewal Daley planned in areas such as Lincoln Park.