The Bishop Heinrich of Minden visited, translated from latiin, “Castro church, named Wilipa".
Idea evolved with a group of like-minded people whom wanted to share their local pride with the public.
Through geomagnetically surveying the hill and using ground penetrating radars and electrical resistivity to survey the castle plateau.
The Museum of Neinburg, the municipal archaeological department, Wölper Burghügel, and students from the University of Regensburg excavated on the top of and down the side of the hill of the Wölpe castle in 4-6-week campaigns. They excavated a two-metre-wide, 46.5 metre trench on the north slope. Within this trench a stone foundation from the 12th or early 13th century at the edge of the plateau, several layers of wood within the mound, a coat of arms on an inscription stone from the 1600’s with the motto of the Philip Sigismund of Verden and Osnabrück, from the house of the Guelph.