First wave civilizations
3500 bc - 500 bc
- Xia dynasty 2070-1600 B.C.E. a monarchy
- Shang Dynasty 1600-1046 B.C.E. enlarged China
- Zhou 1040-771 B.C.E.
2070 BC - 1600 BC
- Organized public works suck as flood control projects
- Lead first Chinese civilization
1600 bc - 1040 bc
- Developed a calendar system.
- Implemented Gods to be a large art of their religion
1045 bc - 256 bc
- The Mandate of Heaven Took root.
- 8th Century B.C.E. Zhou dynasty weakened
Mandate of Heaven
- Chinese said that they encompass "all under heaven"
- The Chinese kings " Son('s) of heaven" governed by The Mandate Of Heven
- The opposite of Confucianism.
- Worshiped many gods
551 bce - 479 bce
- The Religion Confucianism formed by Confucius.
- Confucius wanted social harmony, importance of education,etc
- Social ethic, political ideology, and Scholarly traditions.
- Created by Confucius.
Second Wave Civilization
500 bc - 500 ce
- Qin Dynasty (221 - 206 B.C.E.) ruled by Qin Shihuagdi
- Han Dynasty (206 B.C.E. - 220 Ad) replaced legalism with Confucianism
- Formed the religion Daoism
- Wanted to withdraw from the world in contemplation of nature, end of striving
Age of Warring States
475 bc - 221 bc
- Zhou Dynasty divided into 8 states.
- Rulers depend/relied on the legalism philosophy
400 BCE - 225 BCE
- Harsh reunification of Shihuagdi and Qin dynasty
- Brutality of short dynasty disc leaned legalism
- A legalist
- Helped with the reunification of China.
The Great Wall of China
259 bc - 210 Bc
- Built to keep out invasions from barbarians.
- Constructed by emperor Shi Haung.
259 bc - 210 bc
- Name means "First emperor"
- Founded the Qin Dynasty
246 bc - 210 bc
- life size statues of various warriors sculpted.
- 6000 figures
221 BC - 206 BC
- Ruler at the time was Qin Shihargydi
- Legalism was a big part
- Rapidly rising agriculture outputs and geographic population.
206 BC - 220 AD
- Adopted a milder and moralistic confucianism in place of legalism
- Retained centralized features of Shihangdi
Yellow Turban Rebellion
184 CE - 184 ce
- A peasant Uprising
- Occurred because of the rivalry between higher factions