Settlement of Albury

Settlement of Albury

Hume and Hovell arrived

1824

Thomas Townshend made the first ever town map of Albury

1838

Migrants Schubach, Frauenfelder and Rau planted first vineyards in Albury.

1851

Wodonga township began with police station

1854

Sisters of Mercy arrived and began teaching girls.

1868

Wodonga Shire created Yackandandah Shire

1876

Number of houses in Albury 1000

1890

Temporary army depots and stores opened in Albury

1940

Albury population approaching 15,000, proclaimed as a city.

1946

Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre opened for migrants

1947

Airport reconstructed to facilitate regular flights to Melbourne and Sydney

1964

Albury and Wodonga’s combined population reaches 36,000.

1966

housing estate developed at St Johns Hill, Thurgoona.

1978

Charles Sturt University established

1989

$33 million wastewater treatment works opened at Waterview

1998

Council mergers tripled size of Albury city to more than 300 square kilometers

2004