Settlement History in Wagga Wagga

Isabel

Main

Captain Charles Sturt passed through Wagga area

1829

With assistance of Wiradjuri guides

Best and Tompson established station runs either side of Murrumbidgee River.

1832

Police Station and Court House established

1847

Wagga Wagga proclaimed as a town

1849

First store opened by Dr Robert Davison

1851

Municipality of Wagga Wagga incorporated. Population: 1,000

1870

Railway line extended to Wagga Wagga

1879

Gasworks established by Wark brothers

1880

City Council Chambers erected

1881

Water Works established

1885

First Council Meeting

1899

Installation of first sewerage main

1916

Electricity switched on

1922

Water reticulated to North Wagga

1932

Wagga Wagga proclaimed a City on the 17th of April

1946

Extension of City boundary, total area, 8,971 hectares

1951

Town Planning Scheme adopted

1958

Completion of Flood Prevention and Mitigation Scheme

1960

Chaston Street Gasworks completed

1963

Extension of City Boundary, total area, 10,333 hectares

1968

Completion of Lawn Cemetery-Crematorium

1971

Natural Gas supplied to Wagga Wagga

1980