Migrants in Albury

Main

1830s First settler in Albury was Irishman Robert Brown

1830

1840 First German settler in the Albury area John Pabstt - Woolpack Inn owner

1840

1850s Chinese pass through during Gold Rush years

1850

1851 German migrants start arriving in Albury.

1851

1858 First German Ball held in Albury at Exchange Hotel

1858

1859 First mayor of Albury was Irishman James Fallon

1859

1860s German migrants gave land to build Thurgoona’s first Catholic school

1860

1866 Lutheran German wave into Albury commenced

1866

1866-67 German Gottfried Scholz brought 40 families to Albury from S.A

1866 - 1867

1868 German J.G Klemke led 56 people in wagons first to Albury

1868

1868 Irish Catholic priest McAlroy brought the first Sisters of Mercy to Albury

1868

1880 Bavarian Frederick Heilmann opened tobacco factory

1880

1880 sees 80 German wagons arrive in Albury area

1880

1891 "Chinese Disinterment Case" - bones of 22 men sent to homeland

1891

1890s brought Lebanese families (Said Milham Abikhair & Betro Abicare famlies)

1891 - 1896

1915 Germanton was changed to Holbrook because of anti-German sentiment

1915

1947 Bonegilla migrant centre opens

1947

1950 Ukranian migrants start arriving in Albury

1950

1950s-1972 Good Neighbourhood Council gave advice to migrants

1950 - 1972

1952 Aus-Croatian Mill opened in Wodonga- first ethnic community club in Aus

1952

1970 Ethnic Communities Council established

1970

1971 Bonegilla stops running

1971

1980s brought new arrivals of Chinese

1980

1980s Refugees from from Vietnam, Laos and Iran start flooding into Albury

1980

1980 First Lao refugees arrive and start Buddhist temple

1980