Timeline of Beechworth during the Victorian gold period

Main

David Reid discovers gold a few miles from Beechworth

1845

He disregards the findings and does not report them

Discovery of gold

1852

Officially surveyed and named Beechworth

1853

Reid's Creek is populated

1853

Main Sydney to Melbourne route changed to go through Beechworth

1854

Storekeepers were successful in petitioning the Government in changing the official route

Chinese miners begin to arrive

1855

Daniel Cameron visits

1855

Daniel Cameron was the newly elected representative of the Ovens Goldfield's in the very first Victorian Parliament. He supposedly rode into town on a horse wearing gold shoes

A Council is formed

1856

Consists entirely of businessmen

Gold Receivers Office & Sub Treasury built

1856

Contruction starts on the Ovens & District Hospital

1856

Gold Wardens Office built

1857

Chinese Burning towers built

1857

Used to burn paper money in memory of those who have passed away

Fire Brigade established

1857

Chinese Protectors Office built

1857

Telegraph Station built

1858

Shire Offices Built

1858

The Beechworth Court House built

1858

Powder Magazine built

1859

stored gun powder used in the blasting of rocks

Goal Built

1860

Constuction of St. Joseph's Church begins

1866

Beechworth Asylum opens

1867

Stone Lockup built

1867

Used as a holding cell for the local court house

Beechworth possess the most 'Sluices'

1868

The Beechworth mining district possess more than 1,000 miles worth of 'Sluices'

Receives a Railway Branchline

1876